9 relationship building tips:
“It’s all about building the relationships that create trust. It’s not rocket science but most managers don’t do it. They don’t take the time to do it.” (The Front-Line Leader, by Chris Van Gorder, CEO of Scripps Health.)
- Don’t act superior. Take care of the people who take care of others.
- Dress like a person. In general, wear what employees wear.
- Do their job. Once a month spend a day on the front-line.
- Answer every email from an employee.
- Go to the gemba (the real place). Van Gorder spends 20% of his time walking around.
- Have no secrets.
- Support employees every way you can.
- Swear off layoffs.
- Give clear responsibilities and let employees know they’re accountable.